Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 116 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 115 116
Where's the 3D Sketchup models support!???

Hehe... just kidding people. But i'm looking forward to it. I would love to see my 3d cabinets rotating on the pictures panel while selecting a game to play. How far is this feature from the current QMC2MAME version?

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
The idea was (and still is) to use Qt3D / QtQuick3D... after having learned how to use QML for QMC2 Arcade, it shouldn't be too far away actually, but Qt3D is still not part of Qt 5 as it was expected, but it looks as if it could be in 5.2... see here for example: http://lemirep.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/what-happened-to-qt3d/

That's why I postponed it for now...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
Oh man, hope they implement that in the next version. Fingers crossed smile

And do you have plansto include .jpeg support to the artwork files, instead of .png only?

Last edited by RColtrane; 08/02/13 12:29 PM.
Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Originally Posted By RColtrane
And do you have plansto include .jpeg support to the artwork files, instead of .png only?

Well, there are two main reasons for using PNG only: performance and the openness of the format. I may change this in the future to allow for additional formats optionally, but the more formats there are the longer it may take to find images in the file-system or ZIP. The actual loading of images is not the problem since Qt has simple/generalized APIs for this... but when the first load fails, it will have to search and load the next possible format... I don't really see a big win by this. Every image manipulation program can create / convert to PNGs nowadays, and it's what's created by MAME/MESS anyway, too smile. So what do you need JPEG for (or whatever format)?

EDIT: Qt supports these formats, BTW.

Last edited by qmc2; 08/02/13 12:45 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
The PNG format is fine and support lossless data compression.
I see no benefits to use the JPEG format.

Originally Posted By Anna Wu
The PNG format is fine and support lossless data compression.
I see no benefits to use the JPEG format.

Well, I have an explanation for this:

Example: Flyers. When you download flyers from ArcadeFlyers (thousands of them) they are all in JPG format already. If you begin converting them one by one in PNG, it would take forever and the resulting files would be much larger. Unless you know a tool that make the conversion automatically, with no quality loss and no big difference in size. Then I would ask you to point it to me asap please wink

Another example: Picures you collect around the internet (Cabinets, marquees, CPOs, etc...) are all in JPG too.

See what I mean? When you have just a few games, you can convert it easily, but when you are talking about thousands of files, it makes sense to let them in their original format (jpeg). Much more spreaded than PNG and if well done, the compression loss is really insignificant.

Last edited by RColtrane; 08/09/13 06:03 PM.
A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Quote:
When you have just a few games, you can convert it easily, but when you are talking about thousands of files, it makes sense.

It is not a problem, it exist enough tools with a batch function, so you can convert a bunch of pictures at once.

Originally Posted By Anna Wu
It is not a problem, it exist enough tools with a batch function, so you can convert a bunch of pictures at once.

You are quick... Please read my edited post above wink

I agree that space is no longer a problem these days, where larger HDDs are quite cheap. I just would like to know which program is the best to do such conversion automatically. Tell me which one you guys are using and I will give it a try.

Thanks

Last edited by RColtrane; 08/09/13 06:08 PM.
S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
I use Irfanview with the plugins pack on Windows...

R
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I would tend to agree that jpeg support is probably helpful, especially for flyers.

Page 47 of 116 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 115 116

Moderated by  qmc2 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dullaron, 1 invisible), 29 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,275
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com