Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 194 of 269 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 268 269
M
M
Originally Posted By smf

I just installed NT4 using ct486 and a SBM boot floppy. Playing 3d pinball with no sound card and 16 colour vga was kinda weird.

There is a fix for that a few pages back if your using S3 video. Seems to work for win95 and win2k.

Originally Posted By smf

at586 might be a better test bed as it can boot from cd and has 4 ide channels & they are bus mastering. I haven't tested bus mastering with windows or cdrom, it is used by mame though with hard disks.

at586 often seems broken in one way or another but with your TOC fix there maybe more incentive for people to fix it. It's also much slower then at486 a Intel DRC would work wonders.

i've often wondered if MAME/MESS could somehow use Virtualization in place of a emulated cpu, for Intel based hardware.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
MAME runs on a lot of non-Intel hardware, and we're looking to add more, so virtualization would be odd. The nice thing about an x86 DRC targeting x86 or x64 is that you don't need an optimization layer because most instructions should effectively pass through and you'll have the same optimization level the original code did.

S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
MAME runs on a lot of non-Intel hardware, and we're looking to add more, so virtualization would be odd. The nice thing about an x86 DRC targeting x86 or x64 is that you don't need an optimization layer because most instructions should effectively pass through and you'll have the same optimization level the original code did.

Yeah, I'm not sure our current DRC is the one to do it. There are a couple of other designs that have been mulled around. psxauthor was doing some tests a while back & AFAIK his previous design was similar to ours. While OG wants to use llvm

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
What I was saying is x86 -> x86 or x64 is the one case where our current DRC *will* work well, because we're getting optimized x86 code in and hopefully just passing it through most of the time.

For emulating PPC/SH/MIPS/etc faster then something else would be nice - Aaron's also interested in LLVM.

S
smf Offline
S
What I was saying is x86 -> x86 or x64 is the one case where our current DRC *will* work well, because we're getting optimized x86 code in and hopefully just passing it through most of the time.

Is the uml passed between the front end and back end similar to x86? I've never looked

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
The UML largely *is* x86, except with more registers and the useful PowerPC "rotate-AND-OR in one operation" instruction along for the ride. It's actually helpful to have an i386 programmer's manual open when writing DRCs for MAME.

M
M
I've just tried these new changes, but I've run in to a few issues. The bottom lines are these:

- CD-ROM driver loads in DOS, but only when you've got a disc in the drive, however it's not accessible. If I remove the disc and reboot in to DOS again, the driver does not load and just hangs when trying to load the CD-ROM driver. Same thing happens in Windows 95 if you've loaded the CD-ROM drivers in config.sys and autoexec.bat. When you REM out the lines and reboot, Windows will load again.

- It seems only a hard reset (F3) will allow Windows 95 to see the disc (at486 and ct486), but if you insert a disc while Windows is running, then go to Shut Down and Reboot, Windows will still not see the disc when it loads again.

S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By MikeAbson
I've just tried these new changes, but I've run in to a few issues. The bottom lines are these:

- CD-ROM driver loads in DOS, but only when you've got a disc in the drive, however it's not accessible. If I remove the disc and reboot in to DOS again, the driver does not load and just hangs when trying to load the CD-ROM driver. Same thing happens in Windows 95 if you've loaded the CD-ROM drivers in config.sys and autoexec.bat. When you REM out the lines and reboot, Windows will load again.

- It seems only a hard reset (F3) will allow Windows 95 to see the disc (at486 and ct486), but if you insert a disc while Windows is running, then go to Shut Down and Reboot, Windows will still not see the disc when it loads again.

MSCDEX uses a very rarely documented feature of read toc to read session data. We neither supported reading session data or the alternate method for specifying the data format. It should work now.

In the old buggy code for reading tracks, a single track disc would by chance return the data MSCDEX wanted when it tried to read session data.

Yes, currently you need to use F3 after mounting another image. The image loading needs an overhaul to support multiple cd rom images in MAME as well because some system 573 games have an install and game cd.

Last edited by smf; 10/09/13 10:05 AM.
O
O

For emulating PPC/SH/MIPS/etc faster then something else would be nice - Aaron's also interested in LLVM.

The very nice thing with llvm is that it supports a lot of processors, making it a requirement not totally insane. I can see places in the memory subsystem or the 3d rendering where it could have very interesting results...

OG.

R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
Yeah, for me the advantages are a) it actually optimizes the generated code (we're hitting the limits of naive DRCs quite hard in some cases already, whereas Dolphin routinely runs 800 MHz G3 on fairly modest systems), b) instant ARM support, and c) there's actual compiler experts being paid to improve LLVM, which they've been doing at a rapid clip. Even if we had that kind of person on the team, it's not MAME's core competency and it makes sense to farm it out.

Page 194 of 269 1 2 192 193 194 195 196 268 269

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Augusto, 1 invisible), 18 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,103
Posts119,274
Members5,019
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com