Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
asiga Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi,

I've a big collection of floppies from my past as a PC user and as MSX2 user. I'd like to create safe dumps of them, so that their contents are preserved for the future, thinking in using them on MESS or other emulators.

Copying their contents on hard disk folders with a PC isn't an option, because I recall some floppies had "obscure" formats for copy protection, and anyway I'd like to preserve the original floppy structure, creating identical clones of them.

What would be the best tool for doing this? AFAIK the MESS imgtool can only create blank images and manage images, but not doing exact clones of floppies.

You need special hardware for his to be 100% "preservation proof". Like KryoFlux or DiscFerret. This is really the only way for most copy protected disks.

Non-copyprotected disks should be readable with a standard PC floppy disk and a tool like WinImage (Windows) or "dd" (Linux/Unix) but even in that case a raw dump with one of the aforementioned devices would be preferable in terms of preservation accuracy.

hi

if you don't want or can't create your dump with kryoflux perhaps can i help you ?

i'm leaving in France and can dump your floppy with my kryo

breiztiger

A
asiga Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By Breiztiger
hi

if you don't want or can't create your dump with kryoflux perhaps can i help you ?

i'm leaving in France and can dump your floppy with my kryo

breiztiger

Thanks a lot!! If I cannot figure it myself, I'll tell you!

Q
Q
For preservations without Kryoflux, you can use the DMK dump tool by Wouter Vermaelen. It can dump any MSX disk (including any kind of copy protection) to files. The dump tool needs a real MSX to function...

The resulting DMK files can be run in openMSX.

Details (instructions, source code) here: https://sourceforge.net/p/openmsx/openmsx/ci/master/tree/Contrib/dmk/

Please read those instructions! Direct link: https://sourceforge.net/p/openmsx/openmsx/ci/master/tree/Contrib/dmk/READ-DMK_instructions.txt

MSX binary of the dump tool here: http://openmsx.sf.net/temp/READ-DMK.COM
Windows binary of combine-dmk here: http://openmsx.sf.net/temp/combine-dmk.exe

Good luck! And thanks for your preservation efforts.

Let me know if there are any questions.

A
asiga Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks a lot, Quibus, didn't know this.

A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Hello Quibus, we know us. ; )

your welcome asiga

i make lots of dump principaly for Amstrad cpc (put on www.cpc-power.com) but i can make dump from 3", 3"1/2 and 5"1/4

breiztiger

J
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
J
Originally Posted By Quibus
For preservations without Kryoflux, you can use the DMK dump tool by Wouter Vermaelen. It can dump any MSX disk (including any kind of copy protection) to files.

When you say "to files", plural, it makes me think you're referring to ripping the individual files off of the disk, and not ripping an actual disk image. To which one are you actually referring? If the former, it's worthless for MESS and worthless for preservation purposes. If the latter, that sounds pretty cool.

Q
Q
It dumps each track separately into a file, which is then on a PC combined (with the combine-dmk tool) into a single disk image in the DMK format, which is documented here: http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/dsk-and-dmk-image-utilities/

The idea is that on MSX, the FDC that has most capabilities is the WD2793. It has a read track command to read the raw data from the track. As any copy protection should be readable by the real hardware, any copy protection can be dumped with the real hardware. So this is exactly what the read-dmk tool for MSX is doing: using the read track command of the WD2793 to dump all info from the track into a file. It's then just a matter of putting the data into the disk image file. The DMK format has all features that the WD2793 supports, so it is 100% sufficient to support all disks that exists for MSX with any protection or formatting scheme.

Currently openMSX is the only emulator that supports the DMK format, but it would be cool if someone ported the openMSX code to MESS of course smile It's GPL v2.

Last edited by Quibus; 11/24/13 05:06 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Belmont, 2 invisible), 30 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,974
Posts117,891
Members5,001
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020
Forum Host
These forums are hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com