Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
neoby Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello,
I am adding emulation capacities to an Ubuntu box, running Ubuntu 13.10 64bits. To do so, I decided to compile the lastest code archive from mamedev.org, being Mame 0.151.

Compilation dependencies installed :
*libsdl1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev # from the forum sticky thread : )
*liqt4-dev # I had to add this one, even if it was not listed. Mame would not compile without it.

I actually chose to compile UME, so I issued this command :
Code:
make TARGET=ume OSD=sdl -j 3

The compilation went flawlessly. I obtain a ume64 executable, that is working perfectly with ZIP archived roms.
When I try to run ume64 on a 7z archive, I only get a black screen (with the tab menu working).
If I extract the content of the 7z archive, it works as expected.

I tried to recompile, with those libraries installed on the system :
*liblzma-dev
*libarchive-dev

The problem is the same.

*Are there additional step to get this working ?
*Are there optional dependencies triggering the build ?

Thank you very much for reading.

PS: I checked in obj/ume64, and there is a lib7z.a library there.

Last edited by neoby; 12/13/13 02:35 PM.
R
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
R
What specific system / software are you trying to run? It's known that the Windows version of 7zip sometimes creates .7z files which the LZMA SDK (and thus Linux/Mac versions of p7zip, as well as MAME/MESS/UME) can't extract properly, but that's normally quite rare.

N
neoby Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you very much for taking of your time to answer that !

I am currently trying to run a genesis cartridge dump.
Code:
./ume64 genesis -cart ${absolute_path_to_7z_file}

Sadly I wanted to take one of the test rom freely distributed on the mamedev website and set it in a 7z archive, but those are dead links now. Thus I do not know if the archive itself is right.
It could be a very interesting test if someone had one of those free test rom at hand, so I can test with a 7z archive known to work.

AFAIK, full path to a 7z will not work currently, but softlist supported titles will allow to be in .7z format and match in CRC to those on the softlist for your particular system.

meaning:
OK = ume64 genesis sonic (with sonic.zip in rompath)
OK = ume64 genesis sonic (with sonic.7z in rompath)

OK = ume64 genesis -cart path\to\sonic.zip
NOT OK = ume64 genesis -cart path\to\sonic.7z

The rompath needs to be pointing to the central point for all your software inside which folder contains more folders for each of the systems you have software for:

rompath = path\to\software
"megadriv" images located at = path\to\software\megadriv

So, your .7z will work, it just needs to be loaded via softlist entry. Unsure when this can be fixed, but it is a known restriction at this time.

---

Regarding the inability to download roms from MAMEDEV, I've mentioned it to the website maintainer to check into. They are indeed not downloading in the couple that I tried.

S
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
S
Originally Posted By Tafoid
Regarding the inability to download roms from MAMEDEV, I've mentioned it to the website maintainer to check into. They are indeed not downloading in the couple that I tried.

Ah, crap, I did too. frown
Maybe it was missed when they started looking into changing the hosting.

N
neoby Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Quote:
So, your .7z will work, it just needs to be loaded via softlist entry. Unsure when this can be fixed, but it is a known restriction at this time.

Thank you very much for this information !
I will have to take a deep look into the notion of softlist. Does someone have a pointer to a good documentation regarding softlist ?
In particular, I am interested in how to generate the softlist for a given gaming system, and how to know if a rom is a valid dump for a given softlist entry.

Also, I am not sure to understand the second example (with "megadriv"). How does UME knows to look into this subfolder (since I think it only knows the name "genesis" for this console).

Once again, thank you very much to everyone taking of their time to help on this topic ! It is really appreciated ; )

Q
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
Q
Information about software-list usage can be found in the MESS user's manual... the important thing is the "hash-path" and how software has to be stored (as part of your ROM-path(s), that has been discussed above).

You can do all of it from the command line (see -listsoftware / -verifysoftware / -getsoftlist / -verifysoftlist) or use a front-end. QMC2 supports software-lists (latest from SVN recommended)... but others do as well. See our wiki for details.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]
A
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
A
Quote:
OK = ume64 genesis -cart path\to\sonic.zip
NOT OK = ume64 genesis -cart path\to\sonic.7z

A reason why I still use the zip compression. smile

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dorando, Olivier Galibert), 20 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics9,158
Posts119,916
Members5,034
Most Online1,283
Dec 21st, 2022
Our Sponsor
These forums are sponsored by Superior Solitaire, an ad-free card game collection for macOS and iOS. Download it today!

Superior Solitaire
Forum hosted by www.retrogamesformac.com