S
ssj Offline
S
Thanks guys.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ht1848] #93823 04/11/14 08:26 PM
D
Diet Go Go Fan Offline
D
There is an undumped DOS game from 1989 "Amarillo Slim's Real Poker" The box says "Card 5 Stud", also called "5 Card Stud". It is commonly for sale on the internet brand new free shipping from 20 to 40 dollars. I found it at a thrift store but didn't buy it because my computer doesn't have a floppy drive; I can't do anything with it.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ht1848] #93824 04/12/14 01:17 AM
R
ranger_lennier Offline
R
If it's a 3.5" disk, external USB floppy drives are readily available and quite cheap. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-F...sb+floppy+drive

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-External-1-44-...sb+floppy+drive

Dealing with 5.25" disks seems to be more difficult from the small amount of research I've done.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: ht1848] #93858 04/15/14 05:34 PM
S
Sharkpuncher Offline
S
Not sure if this is 100% thread relevant, but it semi-is (for obvious reasons) and making a new thread for this seemed dumb, and I figure that a few of the active posters on here will have experience to speak from, and might be doing the same types of things I would.

Apologies if this is a stupid/obvious question, but are the various pin adapters for the EPROM programmers semi-universal? I was under the impression that they were essentially just remapping pins with occasional logic or power modifications, but somewhat seamlessly passed through provided the programmer and software were reasonably intelligent/configurable. Most of them certainly don't appear to be physically unique or "keyed" in any way. I'm curious just because prices are kind of all over the place (especially when you compare generi-asian version to brand, e.g. eeTools, etc) and most of the companies imply that you need their version. Other than the occasional reports of certain adapters being cheaply made and prone to error/failure, or even in some cases made incorrectly such that some chips will never read properly without physical modifications, I suppose.

In this context it would mainly be for reading chips... It seems like in dodgy cases the power/timing needs of writing are where things seem to come apart?

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: ht1848] #93860 04/15/14 05:43 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
The cheap gear often has fixed-function pins, which is why adapters can be needed even for chips that would otherwise fit the socket. Once you get up to something like a TopMax II or a BT Micro then yes all pins are software assignable.

As far as the adapters themselves, there's no standard for how to map the pins generally so each manufacturer does it differently. If there's a chinese knockoff that says it works with your reader it probably does, but in general I've just swallowed the extra cost and bought genuine parts.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: R. Belmont] #93861 04/15/14 06:08 PM
S
Sharkpuncher Offline
S
Originally Posted By R. Belmont
The cheap gear often has fixed-function pins, which is why adapters can be needed even for chips that would otherwise fit the socket. Once you get up to something like a TopMax II or a BT Micro then yes all pins are software assignable.

As far as the adapters themselves, there's no standard for how to map the pins generally so each manufacturer does it differently. If there's a chinese knockoff that says it works with your reader it probably does, but in general I've just swallowed the extra cost and bought genuine parts.

Ahh, didn't really even think about the fact that they could just assign the pins in no particular order, if it was say a QFP or something, but know the "right" way to lay them out in their interface vs. someone else's since they were the ones to do it.

With something like the TopMax, how hard is it to set it up with your own settings/maps? Their bit of documentation (mainly the few PDFs found on the parts of their site that aren't broken, or the "support forum" which appears to be completely overrun with spam and posts that were never answered) seems to suggest that the programmer is able to "sense" what it needs to automatically most of the time, or if not, is configurable easily using the software (MaxLoader?), but reading more deeply it seems that one needs to edit a config file manually, how difficult is it to determine that info, using the sort of data one could find normally accessible? I ask this because (I believe?) you once mentioned that you have the TopMax, but I wasn't sure.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: ht1848] #93862 04/15/14 06:28 PM
R
R. Belmont Online Content
Very Senior Member
Online Content
Very Senior Member
R
I haven't ever tried to do anything custom on my TopMax II so I can't really speak to that.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? [Re: ranger_lennier] #93866 04/16/14 01:45 AM
L
LoganB Offline
L
Originally Posted By ranger_lennier
The APF Imagination Machine used double-sided cassettes with the program data on one side and audio on the other. I believe that it would play the audio (story introduction, instructions, music, etc.) while the program was loading.

There's only one game (Space Destroyers) I've seen that does that. MESS currently plays both tracks, rather than only the right side.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: Sharkpuncher] #93868 04/16/14 06:08 AM
S
smf Offline
S
Originally Posted By Sharkpuncher
Ahh, didn't really even think about the fact that they could just assign the pins in no particular order, if it was say a QFP or something, but know the "right" way to lay them out in their interface vs. someone else's since they were the ones to do it.

Generally among the cheap programmers there is one way to do it and the adapters are compatible as they just make it appear like a standard DIP chip.

It's likely that even for the more expensive chips they would do that anyway (unless they are really trying to lock you in). I'm not sure that even the topmax can assign every pin to be an input/gnd/any voltage.

Re: MESS Dumping Project ? (EPROM progammers) [Re: ht1848] #93874 04/16/14 01:59 PM
O
Ola Andersson Offline
O
About the tape game: Solar System Forces (tape 1) for Sord M5:
I dumped it again and filtered the wav-file with Adobe Audition which then made it possible to convert to cas.
I still don't know how to get all parts in a one .cas file though.
Here's the wav-file anyway:

http://nevyn.organ.su.se/tapes/SSF1.wav

Last edited by Ola Andersson; 04/16/14 01:59 PM.

--
Ola Andersson
Page 139 of 152 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 151 152

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MacLover490, Dorando, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,763
Posts115,160
Members4,889
Most Online890
Jan 17th, 2020