08/26/14 09:59 PM
08/26/14 09:59 PM
gbbgfdxg
I
Isamu Offline OP
Isamu  Offline OP
I
gbbgfdxg
Hi Rene, absolutely loving QMC2 so far. Ridiculously awesome frontend!

I have somewhat of strange but trivial request regarding the frontend GUI. Kinda long so bare with me...

OK, so you know how in the QMC2 GUI window, we have the left side, which displays the roms/systems/etc, and on the right side are the tabs for things like Previews, Software list, Configuration, etc. right? Well under the "configuration" tab, where we are allowed to make changes to each specific rom or machine, there is a category called "state/playback". Then under that is a sub-category called "statename".

We all know that statename allows us to name whatever name of the savestate we want, as hinted at from my good friend R.Belmont in my other thread. I find this ability to be awesome! Next to the statename is usually the "%g" string by default. I can type whatever name I want next to that and it will create a subfolder folder called that name(ie snes>zelda). The way you have integrated this option into QMCS2 is magnificent. However, there is one teeeny TINY small thing I would like to see done with this....

OK so you know how next to where it says statename, I notice that the blank box containing the %g is also a dropdown menu. If you type something after %g and want to change it back to the default, you can simply click the drop down arrow and click the %g below to return to just "%g".

What I would like to request, is a way for that specific dropdown menu to store the entries we've made in that box. For example....let's say I want to play say, five different games from the same system....let's say snes.... Zelda, Mario, finial fight, mortal kombat, and f-zero. For me to have a different savestate for each of those particular games, I need to type something short that represents each of those games, right? OK so let's say I type %g/Zel, %g/FF, %g/Mar, %g/MK and %g/F-z. I now have five different sub-folders that QMC2 had created within the "snes" directory. Great....

Now....., let's say I exit out of QMC2 altogether and go out for a few hours, spend time with my girlfriend, go grocery shopping and comeback home. If I fire up QMC2 and want to revisit those five particular snes games, I have to re-type "%g/Zel, %g/FF, %g/Mar, %g/MK and %g/F-z" all over again for each of those game if I want to continue loading those states and saving them in those unique folders. That is why I'm asking if you could please change it so that the dropdown menu box next to "statename" can store and remember whatever entries we type in for that one machine or whatever machine we're running. It would be more convenient and would make the process of choosing your savestate subfolders quicker.

Is there anyway you can add this ability in one of the next versions of QMC2 Rene?

Thanks and keep up the great work smile

Last edited by Isamu; 08/26/14 10:02 PM.

The developers of MESS have my sincere gratitude. Thank you guys.
Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95686
08/27/14 01:30 PM
08/27/14 01:30 PM
Trondheim, Norway
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
etabeta78  Offline
Very Senior Member
Trondheim, Norway
there is a solution for this issue in MAME/MESS itself smile

if you read better the documentation about statename, you would see that if you put "%g/%d_cart" the emu will use for the state name the filename of the game you mount in the "cart device" avoiding you the need to change the name for each game

similarly with "%g/%d_cdrm" MESS will use the name of the cd game for state name, etc.

same syntax for snapname & images wink

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95689
08/27/14 04:44 PM
08/27/14 04:44 PM
Germany
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
qmc2  Offline
Very Senior Member
Q
Germany
@Isamu: well, although your request is basically doable, it's much more work / complicated than it might sound in the first place... and for this particular request there's even a better solution as etabeta78 explained.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. [Frank Zappa]

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: etabeta78] #95701
08/27/14 11:09 PM
08/27/14 11:09 PM
gbbgfdxg
I
Isamu Offline OP
Isamu  Offline OP
I
gbbgfdxg
Originally Posted By etabeta78
there is a solution for this issue in MAME/MESS itself smile

if you read better the documentation about statename, you would see that if you put "%g/%d_cart" the emu will use for the state name the filename of the game you mount in the "cart device" avoiding you the need to change the name for each game

similarly with "%g/%d_cdrm" MESS will use the name of the cd game for state name, etc.

same syntax for snapname & images wink

oh my god.....

OH....MY....GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

etabeta78 you are a freakin GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it but you're right, this actually works and is exactly what I was looking for!!!!!!

R.Belmont tried to explain to me that it was possible to do it this way so he told me to go look at the config txt file which I did. However, I swear I read that section multiple times and still didn't understand what it meant by adding /%d_cart or /%d_cdrm or whatever after the %g string. I thought that it meant it would it create a folder name "cart" or "cdrm" or whatever, and place the statefiles in there. This went RIGHT over my head and gosh darnnit I feel like a grade A idiot for not catching it the first time.

Try not laugh too hard arbee cuz I know you're over there cracking up right about now but it's all good my friend I'm still learning the ropes! laugh

Thanks for explaining how to do it Etabeta you rock dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :slave: :notworthy: :etabeta78ForPresident:

Rene disregard my origianl suggestion bro, this is much better. I'll let you get back work on more important things now smile

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95712
08/28/14 04:00 PM
08/28/14 04:00 PM
Trondheim, Norway
etabeta78 Offline
Very Senior Member
etabeta78  Offline
Very Senior Member
Trondheim, Norway
for the record, I was the one who added the option to the emulator, and that is why I know it pretty well wink

just be careful that if you ever start playing with home computers and games which require an OS disk + the game disk, you need to adjust the %d_flop1 or %d_flop2 properly to avoid savestates / images named after DOS or CP/M wink
or if you alternate between disk and cassette games you might have to switch the option a few times... always better than adjusting it for each single game, though

and as long as you stick to consoles with carts and cd-roms you barely need to change that option ever smile

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: etabeta78] #95714
08/28/14 07:09 PM
08/28/14 07:09 PM
gbbgfdxg
I
Isamu Offline OP
Isamu  Offline OP
I
gbbgfdxg
Originally Posted By etabeta78
for the record, I was the one who added the option to the emulator, and that is why I know it pretty well wink

just be careful that if you ever start playing with home computers and games which require an OS disk + the game disk, you need to adjust the %d_flop1 or %d_flop2 properly to avoid savestates / images named after DOS or CP/M wink
or if you alternate between disk and cassette games you might have to switch the option a few times... always better than adjusting it for each single game, though

and as long as you stick to consoles with carts and cd-roms you barely need to change that option ever smile

Awesome my friend! Definitely will keep that in mind! Excellent work on adding this feature it is RIDICULOUSLY superb and outstanding!!!!

Quick question, is there a text or config file or readme anywhere in my mame/mess/ume folders, that contain ALL the different MEDIA commands like Flop_1, Flop_2, cdrm, cart, etc? I'd like to put them on one big comprehensive easy to access list because I'm sure I'll forget 'em some day.

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95715
08/28/14 07:15 PM
08/28/14 07:15 PM
Germany
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
qmc2  Offline
Very Senior Member
Q
Germany
Originally Posted By Isamu
Quick question, is there a text or config file or readme anywhere in my mame/mess/ume folders, that contain ALL the different MEDIA commands like Flop_1, Flop_2, cdrm, cart, etc? I'd like to put them on one big comprehensive easy to access list because I'm sure I'll forget 'em some day.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say that those are the "brief names" of the devices in question... if so, then there's no need to write them down, you'll find them in QMC2's device mappings (and/or in the XML output from -listxml).

We're searching for QMC2 translators and support for existing translations. Interested? See here!
Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95716
08/28/14 08:09 PM
08/28/14 08:09 PM
gbbgfdxg
I
Isamu Offline OP
Isamu  Offline OP
I
gbbgfdxg
Thanks Rene...

Two questions.....

1)That link you posted talks about the device mappings. I am curious...what is the purpose of the "Quickload"? It allows me to mount a zip, psx, or exe file, but what exactly does this do?

2)Going to back to the topic of the devices tab in general, I was curious to know why launching a game from within the "Software Lists" list ignores the settings of the Devices tab? In other words, If I launch DraculaX from the software lists section, and I have two memory cards mounted under the Devices>Device mappings tab, the game will ignore those and launch with no memory card mounted, requiring me to mount them in the mess menu. Is this something that was by design? Or is it a limitation of how MESS works with its Software List feature?

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95717
08/28/14 08:22 PM
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Germany
Q
qmc2 Offline
Very Senior Member
qmc2  Offline
Very Senior Member
Q
Germany
1) See MESS wiki.

2) I've answered this here already. Please don't double post the same questions wink.

Re: Simple request regarding dropdown [Re: Isamu] #95718
08/28/14 08:28 PM
08/28/14 08:28 PM
USA
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
R. Belmont  Offline
Very Senior Member
R
USA
Quickloads in the PSX driver are for some simple demos/homebrews that come as single files. The large majority are disc images though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  qmc2 

Who's Online Now
5 registered members (Duke, Pernod, crazyc, 2 invisible), 26 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,607
Posts112,529
Members4,828
Most Online296
Dec 5th, 2018