Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 329 of 345 1 2 327 328 329 330 331 344 345
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #115865 09/09/19 08:45 PM
H
hal3000 Offline
H
I'm assuming that you want the game to start up with the clock set to the system time? That might be possible but I think it would require specific changes to each game and since the original games has no real-time clock or other way to keep state when the batteries has been removed I think that's out of scope for the emulation in MAME.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #115866 09/09/19 08:49 PM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
it seems more like something you'd do with an extension of the cheat engine / lua scripts than something you'd want to code into the drivers.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: hal3000] #115868 09/09/19 11:08 PM
N
notknown Offline
N
I wasn't sure if Mame was equipped with a function to grab the system's time, if any arcade game has any rts mechanics, and maybe convert those values to switch into the 8 bit values for the G&W clocks.

If it could be applied in the same form as a cheat in the machine config it would be neat, but if it can't be programmed like that then it's understandable.

If it could be made into a lua script it would be cool, I'm just not familiar with if these languages support pulling the system's clock time.

I just thought it would be a cool idea to have to actually make use of the clock function. It would be cool to use in projects trying to recreate G&W.

It's not something that needs to be done but just wanted to throw that idea out there.

Also, I'm probably going to take some pics of my collection tonight to help Hydef decide on what games need certain details.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #115870 09/10/19 01:47 AM
Vas Crabb Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
You're missing the point. MAME emulates various real-time clock chips and initialises them with the host system time on starting. However, the Game & Watch games don't use real-time clock chips. The time is updated programmatically by the CPU. How/where it's stored depends on the game.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #115871 09/10/19 02:00 AM
C
crazyc Offline
C
Here's a lua cheat that works with the change just pushed for zelda that sets the clock. Put it in "cheat/gnw_zelda.json" and run mame with "-plugin cheat" and look in Plugin Options/Cheats.

Code
[{
	"desc": "Set clock to current time",
	"space": {
		"cpu": {
			"tag": ":maincpu",
			"type": "data"
		}
	},
	"script": {
		"on": "local lt = os.date('*t') cpu:write_u8(16, lt.min % 10) cpu:write_u8(17, lt.min // 10) local hour = (lt.hour > 12) and (lt.hour - 12) or lt.hour if lt.hour == 0 then hour = 12 end cpu:write_u8(18, hour % 10) cpu:write_u8(19, (hour // 10) + (((lt.hour > 12) or (lt.hour == 0)) and 10 or 0))"
	}
}]

Last edited by crazyc; 09/10/19 02:28 AM.
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: hal3000] #115874 09/10/19 04:52 AM
M
Mr. Do Offline
M
Originally Posted by hal3000
That's interesting! The version that Mr. Do sent me is the green version (with Japanese text for the buttons). I agree that this game should to be split up in two versions (parent/clone).

Are you sure? I could have sworn that the one I bid on was pictured purple, because I tried to bid on a green one later and lost it. But at the same time, I never saw it; it went straight from a friend in Japan, to Sean, then to you. If it is the Green one, then that is great, as the purple is a bit easier to track down.

Note that there is also an early version of Helmet (Silver), though you can only tell by taking the cover off. Bugfixed version is CN-17 (which you have of mine); original version is CN-07.

Below is the "cheat" that could be done on the original CN-07 version:

--When in clock mode, push and hold the TIME button. The Helmet character will stop moving and will eventually get hit by a falling object and fall over. After the character falls over let go of the TIME button.

-- Immediately after letting go of the TIME button, push the GAME A (or GAME B) button and the TIME button at the same time.

-- Next, hold down the RIGHT button and then let go of the GAME A (or GAME B) button and the TIME button.

-- When the game starts you will have two Helmet characters playing at the same time, and both characters can accumulate points.

In regards to earlier post about the Melody Rom for Mario the Juggler... do what you gotta do to make what's preserved more accurate. =D

RELAX and just have fun.
Remember, it's all about the games. smile
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Vas Crabb] #115875 09/10/19 05:10 AM
N
notknown Offline
N
Originally Posted by Vas Crabb
You're missing the point. MAME emulates various real-time clock chips and initialises them with the host system time on starting. However, the Game & Watch games don't use real-time clock chips. The time is updated programmatically by the CPU. How/where it's stored depends on the game.

I know that they don;t use rts chips, That's why the clock is so useless though. I was asking if Mame has any functionality to pull from system time to emulate time for any games that might have rts.

The concept is to use any ability Mame has to pull the time from the system and convert it into the format needed for the clock registries on the Game & Watches.

Originally Posted by crazyc
Here's a lua cheat that works with the change just pushed for zelda that sets the clock. Put it in "cheat/gnw_zelda.json" and run mame with "-plugin cheat" and look in Plugin Options/Cheats.

It seems to be giving me an error: attempt to index a nil value(global 'os')

Last edited by notknown; 09/10/19 05:23 AM.
Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Mr. Do] #115876 09/10/19 06:33 AM
H
hal3000 Offline
H
Originally Posted by Mr. Do
Originally Posted by hal3000
That's interesting! The version that Mr. Do sent me is the green version (with Japanese text for the buttons). I agree that this game should to be split up in two versions (parent/clone).

Are you sure? I could have sworn that the one I bid on was pictured purple, because I tried to bid on a green one later and lost it. But at the same time, I never saw it; it went straight from a friend in Japan, to Sean, then to you. If it is the Green one, then that is great, as the purple is a bit easier to track down.

Note that there is also an early version of Helmet (Silver), though you can only tell by taking the cover off. Bugfixed version is CN-17 (which you have of mine); original version is CN-07.

Below is the "cheat" that could be done on the original CN-07 version:

--When in clock mode, push and hold the TIME button. The Helmet character will stop moving and will eventually get hit by a falling object and fall over. After the character falls over let go of the TIME button.

-- Immediately after letting go of the TIME button, push the GAME A (or GAME B) button and the TIME button at the same time.

-- Next, hold down the RIGHT button and then let go of the GAME A (or GAME B) button and the TIME button.

-- When the game starts you will have two Helmet characters playing at the same time, and both characters can accumulate points.

In regards to earlier post about the Melody Rom for Mario the Juggler... do what you gotta do to make what's preserved more accurate. =D

This is a picture of the Judge game:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The picture is a bit dark but the game is definitely green.

Regarding Helmet, I didn't know that two versions existed. It's right that the one you sent me is CN-17.

Also, yesterday I did two fixes for the reported sound problems in Climber and Mario's Bombs Away. The problem in Climber was that the first five notes played after a miss was too short. In Mario's Bombs Away, there was an extra stop bit where it should not be one.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: seanriddle] #115877 09/10/19 07:15 AM
N
notknown Offline
N
Here's a list for Hydef of which G&Ws have dots/bubbles in them.

Have bubbles:
Vermin
Parachute
Helmet
Ball (this is the club nintendo version though)
Fire Widescreen

Doesn't have:
Super Mario Bros
Mario Bros
Pinball
Greenhouse
Popeye panorama (well it is panorama i suppose lol)
Snoopy Tennis
Safebuster
Bombsweeper
Donkey Kong 3
Zelda
Manhole

That said, I've noticed the games that seem like they don't have bubbles, if you shine light really specifically, there are "bubbles", but they're lined up in a diamond/chain link fence manner, and they're SUPER faint. You can't realize them until you shine a light super specifically to get the light to reflect in a way to show they're there.

All of the ones that are listed to not have the normal bubbles, have these, besides Popeye panorama.

I hope this helps out.

Re: TMS-09xx/1xxx thread (was New Dumps) [Re: Mr. Do] #115878 09/10/19 08:24 AM
H
Haze Offline
Very Senior Member
Very Senior Member
H
Originally Posted by Mr. Do

Where is CN-17 listed then? on the PCB?

This needs to be made clear otherwise I imagine a lot of people are going to think they have the undumped version when they don't, because all cases are marked CN-07?

Page 329 of 345 1 2 327 328 329 330 331 344 345

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (zino, Al Kossow), 203 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,714
Posts114,530
Members4,869
Most Online510
Aug 26th, 2019