Next Thread
Print Thread
SDLMAME macOS Save State Menu problem #114639
02/09/19 04:33 PM
02/09/19 04:33 PM
illando Online content OP
illando  Online Content OP
As I already reported on https://mametesters.org/view.php?id=7140
there seems to be a bug related to the use of external joysticks on Save State Menu only on the SDL side (I'm using MacOS) .

Is there anybody here who can take care of the MacOS side?

If you map a joystick button to be used for save state, the dialog window (used to let you choose a save slot) appears for just one moment selecting that joystick shortcut button as slot position, and overwriting the previous one (in case it was present).
Second time you press the same button the window wait letting you chose the slot.
So the problem is only related to the first time you want to save and it does not occur using the keyboard shortcut (F7 + L SHIFT).

Re: SDLMAME macOS Save State Menu problem [Re: illando] #114640
02/09/19 06:28 PM
02/09/19 06:28 PM
USA
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
R. Belmont  Offline
Very Senior Member
R
USA
So, Kaizer, or whatever the heck your actual handle is, you have now reported this on MAMETesters, on mamedev.org, on Github, on MAMEWorld, in private message to me, and in posts here under two separate account names. This is *extreme* troll behavior. We will therefore fix your problem by removing the ability to save state from anything other than a keyboard. Good day.

Re: SDLMAME macOS Save State Menu problem [Re: R. Belmont] #114645
02/09/19 11:09 PM
02/09/19 11:09 PM
First of all,
It was not my intention to troll anybody, on the contrary I did this new account just to unify my name between different platforms. I tried to change nickname editing my profile but unfortunately it's not possible on this board, as it seems not possible to delete an account.
Regarding to my private message to you, if you don't reply nothing, I can think that maybe you didn't receive the message. Maybe just replying something quick and clear like: "I saw your report but I don't know how to fix it, or I wan't to fix it, or I don't have time to do it." could be enough.

There are actually 3 different places where people can report MAME bugs (so you must admit the situation is not very clear), but reading the posts on MAMEgithub and mametesters.org you can quickly realise that nobody cares about the MacOS version, and also, most of the testers, seems to be PC users. The only place that seems to be focused on SDLMAME is this forum that is under a private domain of a developer (so apparently not so official).
I was just trying to be sure to report the bug to who is taking care of the SDLMAME for MacOs instead of a group of developer focused on the PC side.

Originally Posted by R. Belmont
We will therefore fix your problem by removing the ability to save state from anything other than a keyboard.

Also if I understand the sarcastic tone of you reply, I would like to say this is not MY problem! It's a problem of everybody.
If you don't want to hear from people who are using SDLMAME, why are you moderating a forum like this one?

Good day to you too, and sorry to disturb you, Commander!

Last edited by illando; 02/09/19 11:11 PM.
Re: SDLMAME macOS Save State Menu problem [Re: illando] #114646
02/10/19 12:25 AM
02/10/19 12:25 AM
USA
R
R. Belmont Offline
Very Senior Member
R. Belmont  Offline
Very Senior Member
R
USA
You can change your handle by emailing the admin. MAMETesters is the one correct place to report bugs. There is no platform bias; a significant amount of the changelog every month comes from developers on Mac and Linux (and sometimes even *BSD). And finally, you reported a hard-to-reproduce bug smack in the middle of the ugliest code in MAME. Vas Crabb has been fumigating it on and off for months, so maybe he'll accidentally fix your problem sometime, but your behavior has pretty much turned off everyone remotely qualified to take a look.

Also, I *strongly* doubt it's Mac only, or even SDL only. There is nothing platform specific about that code.

Re: SDLMAME macOS Save State Menu problem [Re: R. Belmont] #114647
02/10/19 12:42 AM
02/10/19 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by R. Belmont
but your behavior has pretty much turned off everyone remotely qualified to take a look

Wow, can you imagine my intention was just to be helpful?
Maybe just writing something like you did now, about that part of code really hard to fix, could be enough to let me know who's is qualified to take a look know about the bug but for the moment there's nothing to do.

What I'm trying to saying is that for a newbie who is approaching to all this series of forums, issues pages etc etc. is not easy to understand who is in charge of what.
Anyway, maybe is too late, but I already posted my apologize to Vas Crabb on Github.

Moderated by  R. Belmont 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Golden Child), 158 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Forum Statistics
Forums9
Topics8,625
Posts112,775
Members4,839
Most Online324
Dec 20th, 2018