To follow up my process:
I installed the available package on mamedev.org and went through the key permissions and set up then set out to update everything as far as it could go:
- gcc (Rev3, Built by MSYS2 project) 12.1.0
- GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.39
- LLD 14.0.4
I was able to compile with the following MAKE:
> make -j17 -k ARCHOPTS=-fuse-ld=lld OPTIMIZE=3 SYMBOLS=1 SYMLEVEL=1 STRIP_SYMBOLS=1 DEPRECATED=0 NOWERROR=1 REGENIE=1
The resulting binary looked ok, but the .sym file was nearly half the size as expected.
August 4 with 11.2 GCC/LD
08/04/2022 05:44 AM 296,114,176 mame64_0804.exe
08/04/2022 05:44 AM 155,286,526 mame64_0804.sym
August 7 with 12.1.0 GCC/LLD
08/07/2022 07:40 PM 293,597,696 mame64_0807.exe
08/07/2022 07:40 PM 89,710,043 mame64_0807.sym
I have no way of testing if this is a problem with the 12.1.0 GCC or the LLD for Windows.
Sadly, this is not an acceptable long term solution.
I tested the .sym file using the -profile command
> mame64_0807 pacman -profile 3 -bench 5
No routine names referenced at all.