- if I convert the softwarelist boot disk to .MFM using the HxC tools, the emulated BW-14 doesn't boot from it

The rom appears to expect sectors to be numbered from 0 but hxc messes this up and renumbers numbers them from 1 instead.

- there are two major delays during the boot, one after CP/M 3.0's "54K TPA" message (ca. 75sec), the other after the Digital Research copyright message on the next page (ca. 17sec.)

It's reading the disk through this whole period so I don't know why it would be much slower than the real hardware if it is. It reads one sector at a time which is going to be rather slow.

- the ROM based parts (initial system check, reset) happen in "real time", the reset is almost too quick as on the real iron it shows two distinct pages of ASCII patterns

The ASCII pattern does appear in the emulation but it's so fast it can't really be seen.

- copying files (using PIP) shows the first filename, but then nothing more happens ... in the Debugger you can see that the machine is still alive, but doesn't proceed.

Trying to write to one of the cpm disks it overran the index while writing the last sector which confused the emulation so it gave up. The sectors are very closely packed on that disk but I don't know if the cpm floppy was specially written to pack extra data or our cqm image loader makes the intersector gap too large.