To unknowing people, MAME has still the reputation of being only some kind of piracy tool for strange freaks playing outdated arcade games instead of paying for proper new game apps.

But not least since the join with MESS it has become much more than just an arcade emulator, and particularly the scientific research and culture preservation aspect is barely transported by its current abbreviation.

MAME = "Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator"

The name MAME should stay as the well known brand, but the backronym should change into something serious that reflects the strive for scientific accuracy and preservation of knowledge about simulating the inner working of all kinds of digital (and some analogue) hardware to emulate historical software as an archeological task. It is more like walking a round in a big virtual computer museum - a cabinet of wonders to explore and try out all kinds of miraculous cyberage artifacts those seemed long time forgotten to modern people and doomed to bitrot if not saved. Recreating everything from the earliest electronic brains to PDA, CGI render machines, music keyboards, industrial controllers, LCD games to chess computers and talking calculators it approaches to cover the whole world of everything that no commercial gaming oriented emulator would ever bother to care about. Some use it for data recovery or analysis of ancient microcontroller code at universities for things very unrelated to arcade games. So the general purpose platform and aspired scientific quality standard of MAME should be expressed by the abbreviation.

So I suggest something like this:

"Multi-Architecture Museum-grade Emulator"
"Multi-platform Archeological Museum-quality Emulator"
"Multi-platform Archeology by Museum-grade Emulation"
"Manifold Archeological Museum-grade Emulator"

Well it may still sound a bit meaningless. So here are some word suggestions sorted by letter. You may swap both "M" for more variants. The word "arcade" was omitted on purpose.

1. M

multi-

multi-platform
multi-purpose
multifunctional
manifold

2. A

-
architecture

archeological
archeology
accurate
analytic
aspiring

3. M

museum-grade
museum-quality
museal
memorial

4. E

emulator
emulation

If you have better ideas, further suggestions are welcome.

Code
                        MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

*============================================================================*
I                  CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler                  I
I         (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)          I
I                                      !                                     I
*=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================*
                      {http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

{weltenschule.de}